Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Stairway Denied

Led Zeppelin played last night for the first time in 17 years in London. The band came together for a one off gig in a charity tribute to Ahmet Ertegun, the man who first signed them to Atlantic records.

The band called it quits in 1980 after its legendary drummer John Bohnam, Bozo, died choking on his vomit in his sleep after a heavy drinking session. A rock and roll death of Spinal Tap proportions. Jason Bohnam, his son and a great student of Bonzo’s style, admirably filled his shoes.

Tickets were sold through a lottery website, which had 30 million hits for 22 thousand tickets within hours. It was easier finding a virgin on Patpong Road than getting a ticket to this concert. Even Buffet and Gates couldn't get their hands on any! If they could, top end commanded $160,000 USD.

This event, was billed as the concert of the new millennium, bigger than Ben Hur… hell bigger than Disaster Area!

And by all accounts, it was brilliant!

Needless to say, Beaverboosh could, by no means procure a ticket. I took the Zep two dvd set for a spin after a few jars and played air guitar, singing at the top of my lungs, delivering many well rehearsed rock god poses, like I was playing live to 22,000 people.

I am spent today. It was one of the best living room concerts I have been to. Luckily for Girl, she was on a London pre-xmas shopping recy and did not have to witness this facile juvenile act.

When I was 12, I wanted to play guitar like Jimmy Page, and sing and look like Robert Plant. This is no different to millions of other 12 year old boys, through time, who are deeply into music and its roots.

Today, I play guitar like Adrian Belew, sing like David Sylvian, and look like… well, no one on the planet has hair like Robert Plant, except Pomgirl, but she’s a girl, and its darker. I cannot complain!


Zep are the original, original rock gods, and invented heaviosity! They are musician’s musicians – technically outstanding musicians, songwriters, album composers, performers, and rock gods… and they are from England. All rock gods hail from England as surely as Vikings hail from Norway!

Zep were my true first music love, my first religion, and probably had the biggest influence on my misspent youth, along with sex and drugs.

Though this concert was a one off, there are rumours of a second concert in Melbourne. I am like a cunning fox circling the global concert ticket hen house.

I will not be Stairway Denied again!

Beaverboosh

5 comments:

Johnada said...

Zeppelin back together without Bonham Sr. Next thing you know the the Who will be reuniting without Keith Moon and John Entwistle. Oh right, that sucked. I just pray to God Zeppelin doesn't record a new album.

I have to admit I was dismayed to find out you have no other posts with the label Heaviosity. I eagerly await the next.

Anonymous said...

I actually tried to get a ticket, but no, of course I didn't get any. Would probably have sold them anyway.

I heard the concert was great... which is cool, cause you never know with reunion, right?

I'm gonna listen to Stairway to Heaven to celebrate that :$

Pomgirl said...

The Boy is a huge Led Zep fan and it would be amazing to see them play in Melbourne, or anywhere. It's only since we've been together that I've really listened to any of their music.

And isn't Jimmy Page ageing well? I saw footage of the gig and thought he looked very distinguished!

p.s. I can't post a comment here unless I use my Blogger blog, which I'm not using anymore.

p.p.s. It has taken me twenty minutes to post this comment, and it has also involved much swearing and pledging to avenge myself against the google/blogger conspiracy. Damn them!

Shantanu said...

Ha, ha! Well, wish you good luck if the Melbourne concert does happen. :-)

PS: Blogger now supports OpenID comments; you ought to enable that.

beaverboosh said...

johnada - the Who played at the Quart festival in Kristiansand last summer, sans moon and entwistle. Check out Plant & Krauss!

zhu - hope you celebrated like BB, lets meet up with Pomgirl in Melbourne

pomgirl - cheers to the boy for the introduction. They all still look mega cool in a heaviosity way! See you in Melbourne if you are still there!

p.s. sorry, it is fixed

p.s.s. sorry, sorry, it is fixed. Double damn them!

shantanu - come to Melbourne!

p.s. sorry. thanks for the tip

johnada - now you are going to have to come to Melbourne with us!