‘In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.’ It is difficult to disagree with Benjamin Franklin on this point though I would add masturbation.
It is that time of year. I wrestle with my tax return at the last minute attempting to make the deadline.
If you have never prepared a tax return, tax bores the tits off you, or you are fed up reading my blogs, take this quick exit link now, http://www.buyimage.co.uk/norway/norway/norway.html.
Norwegians boast of the best country, the best social system and the best quality of life in the world. Good for them.
It comes at a price. Norway is a socialist country. You are not allowed to be better than anyone else and must follow the rules. You are reminded of this if you step out of line by your fellow citizen, usually a 60ish year old woman in a fur coat driving a Mercedes.
With a population of 4.5 million people Norway is one of the wealthiest countries in the world. This is in part because of North Sea oil discovered in the 1960s. It is like Kuwait on the North Sea. The US would have to harvest the oil resources of the Milky Way to achieve a similar result.
Many Norwegians including members of parliament have hard held socialist cum communist beliefs. Shortly after the election of the Labour party two years ago the Finance Minister’s second in command suggested that private real estate be made illegal and expropriated by the state.
Excessive wealth and socialism make strange bedfellows. Socialists are renowned for their economic inefficiency. It’s champagne socialism at its worst.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
As I stumble my way through my tax return a veil of depression cloaks me. My personal tax rate is 52% which means I have to work until July before the money is mine. From the remaining 48% I must pay 25% of that on sales tax on ALL consumer goods extending this period to mid August.
With my remaining spondooly’s, I pay a King’s ransom for my provisions. According to the Economist’s Big Mac Index it costs $8.10 in Norway compared to $3.50 in the US or Canada to sample two all beef patties in a special sauce. Thank goodness I do not eat McDonald’s food.
You can log on to the internet to view any of your fellow animal’s tax contribution, thus establishing their income and net worth. Look at mine and you will see a mountain of debt.
Norway is a lovely country. It is the most expensive country I have experienced.
Power to the people, even if they chose to hand most of it to back the state. That’s democracy for you. The government and the King seem to do well from it.
Norway has the feeling of an exclusive members club to which I am privileged to have been admitted but unsure I can afford.
It is certain I will die. It is certain I will be taxed. It is certain I will masturbate in order to try to take my mind of this depressing topic.